Tired of being at home? Feeling the weight of the world’s uncertainty? Do you want to just bury your head under the covers and wait for the day when you can meet friends for coffee?
Fortunately, there are many different options for boosting our mood and even our productivity. And, better yet, most don’t require us to spend much money or even leave the house (even though we would LOVE to leave the house)! Tiny changes, HUGE impact!
At this point in our stay at home life, we are likely very tired of the stuff that surrounds us. Don’t underestimate the effects of switching things up!
- Office Supplies – Have you experienced the power of fancy pens, new folders and colorful highlighters? You will want to get started on that project if it means you get to use your new supplies!
- Move the Furniture – Rearrange your home office so that you have a new view! Set yourself up in front of a window with natural light or switch up your chair.
- Dishes – Sometimes your coffee or tea actually tastes better when you are drinking from your favorite mug. Use your “fancy dishes” even though you aren’t having guests over for dinner!
Some colors sooth and comfort us while others are energizing. The colors around us can have a huge impact on our lives. What colors do you need right now?
- Clothes – Do you have a power outfit – one that makes you feel confident? It is very easy to wear pajama pants all day when you are working from home. Consider wearing that beautiful dress even though you have nowhere to go but online!
- Writing – Try typing your report using a crazy color and font! Just don’t forget to change it before hitting submit!
- Decorations – Posters, curtains, tablecloths… what can you surround yourself with to boost your mood?
We often tune out the sounds that surround us. However, sounds have the ability to soothe, energize, interrupt and they can even help us focus. Stop and listen to your surroundings. What do you hear right now?
- Alarms & Reminders – Have you ever missed an alarm or reminder? After awhile we tend to tune them out. Try changing them to something new!
- Music – It can lift us up when we feel down and it can calm us as we fall asleep. Create soundtracks to boost your mood, energize you while exercising or play while you get your work done.
- Silence – Do you need silence in order to focus? What sounds are interrupting you and draining your energy throughout the day? Try wearing headphones to block out the sounds.
Sometimes the simplest solution has the most power. When things are no longer working for you, it’s time to make a change. Luckily, the change does not have to be big. Micro-changes can have a huge impact on your mood and productivity! Look around, what other small changes could you make?